Application Deadline: Friday, November 4, 2022
Intern Observers are motivated individuals seeking careers in the snow and avalanche industry with a desire and focus on becoming public avalanche forecasters. This program is designed for those new or very early in their avalanche careers. This is a one-year commitment that may be renewed for up to 2 seasons.
Intern observers will have the opportunity to engage with all three of NWAC’s primary tenants: Forecasts, Education, and Outreach as they gain experience in public avalanche forecasting. This is a one-year commitment that may be renewed for a second season.
Commitment and Responsibilities
- One pre-season training session
- One field observation per week
- 12 total observations over the course of the 18-week season
- One field day per month with local NWAC forecasters
- Teach three Avalanche Awareness Courses (virtual or in-person)
- Staff at least one Trailhead Outreach and/or Snowmobile Club Ride
The Intern Observer Program will run from early to mid-December through mid-April, snow conditions depending, encompassing the entire length of the NWAC forecast season. This is a one-year commitment that may be renewed for a second season.
NWAC has 10 forecast zones. Please help us with the selection process by ONLY selecting zones you can reliably perform fieldwork on a weekly basis. Selections will be based on the individual’s qualifications, not the forecast zone. However, only one Intern Observer will be selected per region.
Intern Obervers are contract workers compensated $100/observation with no more than one observation per week from December 1, 2022 through April 16, 2023.
- Trailhead Outreach is compensated $200/day
- Avalanche Awareness Classes are compensated $125/ in-person class or $100/ virtual class
Required Experience and Credentials
- Ability to travel safely in backcountry terrain
- Desire to work professionally within the snow and avalanche industry
- Minimum Rec Level 2, Pro 1 Course desired (or equivalent)
How to Apply
For the 2022/23 Season NWAC will be selecting up to three Intern Observers. Selections will be announced in early December.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 4, 2022.