We approached NWC via WSG. We saw several crowns on Northwest aspects while approaching and heard at least one significant natural avalanche. We had no intention of 100% committing to the line due to these concerns. However, as we got higher stability improved and the fresh snow that had fallen night of the 16th end in the morning of the 17th had seemed to bond well. At this point we decided that it was worth at least sending one down to check out the traverse with it in mind to boot out If we saw anything that couldn't be mitigated or would not allow us to ski the line the way we wanted to ski it. While descending the upper rollover I pitched a considerable amount of sluff down which seemed to flush the upper couloir entrance. The bed surface that was exposed in some areas was hard and variable. Near the bottom of the upper couloir, which I descended very slowly, I popped a couple baby soft slabs. I kept going thinking that they were just isolated pockets. As I got the traverse I could see how wind affected the snow was, but could see unaffected behind it. As I moved towards the traverse, but still not fully in it, I kicked off what was at least a D2 slab. It was a slow kick off as I was slowly stomping forward to try to get things to pop. As I applied pressure with a pole jammed into the hard layer of snow, a 20-30 ft crack opened in front of mean and dropped the slab below. The crack continued in front of me beyond the slab that had released, and the hangfire above the slab remained. At this point, realizing that the problems were not isolated but would remain i radioed my party members told them what I saw and what I thought about potential strategies and we made the decision to call it. I booted out without incident and we enjoyed face shots down WSG.